Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Call it Flower Soup

Never been a fan of raw or roasted cauliflower.  Since I can't eat potatoes, I'm so tired of choosing broccoli as a side. I was adventurous the other day while at Ruby Tuesdays when they made an effort to add something new.  Mashed Cauliflower.  I enjoyed the creamy taste although the texture wasn't creamy.  Since fall has been here, I've craved potato soup.  After researching a bit online, I made some cauliflower soup.  Cauliflower is cheaper this time of year.  I think I prefer it to potato soup!  Below you'll see the recipe I made up.

1. Chop large onion, not fine but not large piecesSaute in a bit of olive oil.  Cover pan to keep juices.
2.  Take apart a head of cauliflower.  Try not to use too much stem.  Add to onion.
3.  Add 2 small (veg size) cans of chicken broth and one can of water.
4.  Salt/pepper to taste.  (I prepare mine to also salt/pepper to taste after serving.)
5.  Add 1/2 stick butter, cover, boil till very soft.
6.  Food process as smooth as possible.
7.  Do not put back on heat.  Add 1/2 pint of whipping cream (or use nonfat 1/2 & 1/2. I'm going for the cream taste that Ruby Tuesday had so I don't think milk would be rich enough.

Healthy ideas: use non-fat broth, non-fat cream and low fat butter substitute.
The only thing white that I know of that doesn't have bad carbs and won't raise my blood sugar.

Shared @ http://www.thecomfortsofhome.blogspot.com/2014/03/tasty-tuesday-1.html

3 comments:

  1. I have some cauliflower in the fridge right now...will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cauliflower! And as it is getting colder in our part of Kentucky, soup is so on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've got something here! I can't wait to try it! I adore cauliflower, but have never tried it in a soup. I popped over from the Show & Share Wednesday Linkey. Thanks for posting there! Come visit me sometime! Deb @ Kneaded Creations.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.